Central South Island
Amuri Estate Retreat
‘Amuri’, means ‘the land of the shining tussock’, named for the wind that ripples over the Hanmer basin grasslands.
Amuri Estate Retreat is an elegant alpine retreat, situated between Kaikoura and Christchurch in Hanmer Springs. The retreat offers tranquility and privacy amidst a spectacular setting of snow-capped mountains in the winter and huge clear blue skies the year round.
Relax & unwind in exceptional comfort taking in unsurpassed scenery from every room. The guest rooms, named after the surrounding stations of ‘St James’, ‘Rainbow’, ‘Molesworth’, & ‘Wallace Peak’, all have their own distinctive character and their own unique views. Retreat guests have exclusive use of the Retreat’s lounge and dining areas. Each room features original New Zealand artwork and is individually designed for comfort and sophistication.
There is also a self-contained cottage situated within the established olive grove, with separate access and spectacular views of Mt Wallace, the braided Waiau River and the Hanmer Range. Guests can self-cater using the kitchenette facilities.
Amuri Estate Retreat is only a 90-minute drive from Christchurch, and just 8 minutes’ drive into the alpine spa village of Hanmer Springs with many fine restaurants, shops, and outdoors activities.
Explore our 26-acre property which includes established walking tracks through fruit & nut orchards, mature olive groves, & extensive exotic and native plantings.
The Retreat has ‘A Taste of Italy’ tour, tasting, and alfresco luncheon where you can experience fresh pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil from olives grown on the property. Advanced bookings for this are recommended.
- Hanmer Springs Thermal hot pools
- Trout fishing, hunting, skiing, mountain biking, & forest walks
- Olive oil, wineries, fine gift & clothing shops, cafes & restaurants
- Relaxation – massage, spa treatments
- Best views of the mountain & rivers of the Hanmer Springs valley.
- Exclusive use of Retreat facilities (lounge, dining, business centre,
- ‘A Taste of Italy’ olive grove tour, comparative oil tasting, alfresco luncheo
- Style, comfort, & attention to detail